Originally aired Monday, March 23, 2020.
Thank you so much for joining us today! I was blown away by the support for the POOLaide webinar project, and 142 poolies (!) from across North America joined in to share remotely. I apologize for the technical glitches, but such is life currently under COVID 19.
Katie Crysdale has 18 years of experience in progressive leadership roles (lifeguard, pool operator, programmer, facility manager) in the aquatic industry. In 2017, Katie founded Lakeview Aquatic Consultants Ltd. to provide training, consulting and mentoring to clients across Canada and around the world. When she's not sharing her passion for healthy water and reducing water-related injuries, Katie can be found hiking up big mountains, reading books on topics ranging from North Korea to whaling, traveling to new places, and eating delicious food.
Katie Cleasby is the Aquatics Coordinator at Claude Moore Recreation and Community Center in Loudon County, Virginia. She has a background in Aquatics including lifeguarding and pool operation, teaching Physical Education, Athletic Administration, is currently working on her Doctorate as part of the Executive Leadership Program at George Washington University. She has a passion for leadership, travel, lives a plant based lifestyle, and enjoys training for triathlons and marathons.
Kim Maurice has spent 20 years sharing her love of aquatics and drowning prevention with the next generation in both Ontario and Quebec. She currently works for the Town of Hawkesbury (Ontario) as the Aquatic Supervisor. When she's off “Aqua- Awesome” duty, Kim can be found in her kitchen ogling her InstantPots, hoarding cookbooks, and attempting to teach herself ASL online.
Leslie calls home Torbay, Newfoundland & Labrador where she lives with her husband, 2 kids, 2 dogs and 2 cats. Leslie is a Recreation Facilities Supervisor with the City of St. John’s. Leslie has been in the aquatics field for the past 25 years and is a Master Instructor Trainer with the Canadian Red Cross in Water Safety, and a former Branch Trainer with Lifesaving Society NL. Leslie’s experience in the Aquatics field has allowed her to travel to all 10 provinces as well as all over Newfoundland, and even on a movie set!
Great representation from Canada, the USA and Guantanamo Bay, Cuba!
00:00: early start - webinar hangout with Katie Crysdale
21:55: Kim Maurice, Town of Hawkesbury (ON)
24:55: Katie Cleasby, Loudon County (VA)
28:45: Leslie White, City of St. John's (St. John's, Newfoundland & Labrador)
31:29: Katie Crysdale, Lakeview Aquatic Consultants Ltd. (Calgary, AB)
49:20: Leslie White - Question re: aquatic certifications expiring during forced closures, plus social distancing when we come back to the pool/work (teaching programs, lifeguarding)
53:10: Katie Crysdale - Question re: layoffs of aquatic staff
55:10: Katie Crysdale - Question re: repurposing staff to do admin work
56:35 Katie Crysdale - Psychological First Aid Empowerment Session webinar (Wednesday, March 25)
1:00:10 Teri deRosier (Northern CA, outside Sacramento) - Question re: aquatic staff delegated to other departments
1:03:30 Katie Cleasby - online training resources
1:07:00 Katie Cleasby - Question re: dryland training resources for swimmers, triathletes, etc.
1:09:00 Katie Crysdale - Question re: connecting with junior staff/guards
1:10:30 Katie Cleasby - Question: how are YOU doing colleagues?
1:12:35 Katie Crysdale - layoffs are not your fault
1:14:00 Katie Crysdale - online meeting software/meeting options
1:15:15 Leslie White - Question: recruiting without a wet screen/skills assessment? phone interviews?
- Lack of communication at all levels (top down) re: future
- Economic impact on budgets, including PD and facility operations
- Layoffs - staffing, wages, job security, unemployment
- Uncertainty for how to plan, program, open seasonal pools
- Certs/qualifications/awards expiring soon
- Safety (hygiene/social distancing) for lifeguarding and teaching leadership classes (first aid, swim instructor, etc.)
- National Drowning Prevention Awareness (NDPA) Week
- Water safety education
- Summer startup prep
- Update procedures, manuals, checklists, job hazard assessments, lesson plans - all employee resources
- Remote staff training, recruitment, interviews
- Fitness training/competitions from home, including daily workouts
- Staff engagements check-ins (morale/attitude) via Instagram, Zoom, group text, closed Facebook group, etc.
- Long-term and short-term Inservice development
- Leadership training/planning, including on LinkedIn
- Partner staff off in buddies and assign projects
- Motivational daily/weekly emails
- Staff incentive projects/competitions
- Deep cleaning, pool maintenance of aquatic facility in small groups
- Marketing/communication plans
Lakeview Aquatic Consultants (Facebook page)
Lakeview Aquatic Consultants (Instagram)
COVID-19 & swimming pools (Lakeview Aquatic Consultants Ltd.)
Canadian Red Cross (CRC) Professional Development Modules for Water Safety Instructors (WSIs) - login to your My RC account and go to Boulevard. Topics include Teaching Parented Lessons, Adults & Teens, etc.
Blood Borne Pathogens (PHTA Online Class)
Blood Borne Pathogens (American Red Cross Online Class)
Pool & Hot Tub Alliance (PHTA) - formerly National Swimming Pool Foundation (NSPF) - online training library
Lifeguards Without Borders
For the complete POOLaide webinar schedule, please click here.